Tuesday 1 February 2011

Sunshine on a Rainy Day...

I've been good recently, honest. I have actually been making a proper effort to job hunt. Not that I wasn't making an effort before, but I've been really trying and opening up my avenues recently. And just generally I've been good in that I made a to-do list and have actually been ticking it off!

It is most depressing when you have spent years studying hard for a degree only to graduate at the worst point in the job market for 30 years. Graduate jobs? What are they? They don't seem to exist, or on the rare occassion that they do they have hundreds of applicants and end up going to people who have much more experience than a graduate (and thus probably graduated several years ago). It is not fair. I've heard from others that they've even been turned down for jobs aimed at those leaving school with a handful of Standard Grades (or GCSEs for my English readers) because they are 'over-qualified'. So what am I meant to do? It shouldn't be this hard!

There are a couple of jobs I've applied to, albeit fairly casual part-time work, but this is better than applying to no jobs. It would be nice if they could at least get back to you though. I've also written to a charity enquiring about volunteering with them and am in the process of filling out the fairly detailed form for volunteering with Citizens Advice Scotland. Whilst I would rather be paid for working and I getting very bored just sitting around all day and want some purpose in my day, so volunteering seems ideal - providing I can get something that interests me and will be useful experience.

For the rest of the week I'm back at NHS Health Scotland doing front-of-house/reception work for them. I've done it before and it's pretty easy, although I do resent the fact that the receptionist has to empty the dishwasher in the morning and turn it on again last thing - receptionists are not cleaners. Still, this is money that I wouldn't otherwise be earning which is particularly useful when I have a 'romantic' Valentine's weekend coming up and there are clothes I want from ASOS. I've spent my wage before I've even earnt it, oops! There is also the possibility that I could get to work reception for NHS Health Scotland until the end of May, starting mid February, because the current temp is going off on maternity leave. I'm worried that if I take this that I won't be considered for any positions that come to the agency which I'd be better suited for (or that I actually want to do). Hopefully SOMETHING good comes up eventually! I'm bored of admin and reception, and even more bored of being put forward for positions that I am woefully inexperienced for.

At least I am doing something about it though, and I will definitely keep it up. Fingers crossed something comes along soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me that the NHS usually has jobs!! I have been job hunting for what feels like a life time. I wish you luck on your search. Where are the graduate jobs? Eurgh, I'm starting to think their all a made up dream.