Thursday 10 February 2011

Monotony

So, how is my job search going? Not amazingly, but I suppose not as badly as it could have been going!

On Monday I started an assignment with a body I shall decline to name, for fear of someone reading this (who?!). I was informed by my agency that this would be a purely administrative role, processing forms and applications etc. I did not anticipate that I would be sat at a desk doing the same menial task day in and day out. Essentially I open envelopes, take the forms out, check to see if they've been signed - if they have, date stamp it - if they haven't I give them to someone who sends them back (I can't do this myself as no-one has set up a computer account for me yet), if someone has sent original documents (eg payslips) or written in blue ink (two things the forms expressly say NOT to do, yet a lot of people do do) I have to photocopy the document/form, and when I have 10 stamped forms I put them together in a batch to be scanned. That is it. Over and over again. It is not hard. It is not even interesting. It's quite possibly the most boring thing I have ever done in my entire life. It does seem like all the jobs in our team are pretty boring, but at least other people get to switch it up a bit - do a bit of batching, a bit of scanning etc. I just get to do the same type of batching all day long. I want to hurt someone. Specifically the superviser as she is a very strange and nosey woman. Oh, and did I mention I don't get a security pass? Yep. I am supposed to be working there for a month but I don't get a pass, so I have to knock on the door each morning to be let in. I can't even go to the toilet as you need a pass to get through the door to that, I would have to get the receptionist to let me in, and then let me back into the office. It is ridiculous and I hate it. I am considering writing to my agency and telling them so. Probably not that I hate it, but that I find it unsuitable (I did not do 5 years at university for this) and want a job that uses my skills and challenges me. I really don't know how I can cope with a month of it.

Today though I had an interview for a part-time bar/waiting staff, which could be good. Strangely the interviewer just asked questions about my availability, rather than my experience or anything, which didn't really give me the opportunity to shine. She seemed to like me, however she did mention they'd received over 150 CVs and that she'd been interviewing all day, so I'm not holding out much hope really. I would rather like the job though.

Oh, and this weekend K and I are off to London! We booked the tickets in December through a special deal in the East Coast line's e-newsletter. £8 each, each way. Not bad at all! And through DaysOutGuide.co.uk you can get vouchers for 2 for 1 entry to loads of attractions, providing you have a train ticket to London. Yes it is Valentine's weekend, so I suppose that's what we're doing for it. I'm really looking forward to it though, a chance to escape for a bit. And while I'm down there I have an interview for an internship with a public affairs firm. I'm not certain I'd have got an interview had I applied the usual way, a colleague of my dad's knows the director and recommended me, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. So fingers crossed for that too!

Anyway, I have a mountain of dirty washing to do and really ought to get round to it if I want to be able to wear anything nice at the weekend. Tata for now!

No comments: